30 | Acrobat 9 Pro PDF Accessibility Repair Workflow
Do any of the following:
• If a figure isn’t tagged as a figure, select the content region you want, and then click Figure or
Figure/Caption in the dialog box.
• To remove text that was incorrectly combined with a figure, drag to select the text, and click the
Text button in the dialog box.
To include a caption that is grouped with the figure, select the figure and caption, and click the Figure/
Caption button in the dialog box.
Adding Alternate Text with the TouchUp Reading Order Tool
If you want screen readers to describe graphical elements that illustrate important concepts in a document,
you must provide the description using alternate text. Figures aren’t recognized or read by a screen reader
unless you add alternate text to the tag properties. If you apply alternate text to text elements, only the
description, not the actual text, is read.
• Select the TouchUp Reading Order tool.
• Select Show Tables And Figures in the dialog box. Figures that are missing Alternate Text will have
a flag indicating “Figure - No alternate text exists” (See “Figure 18 Add / Edit Alternate Text with
TouchUp Reading Order” on page 30).
• Right-click the figure, and choose Edit Alternate Text from the pop-up menu. (See “Figure 18 Add
/ Edit Alternate Text with TouchUp Reading Order” on page 30)
In the Edit Alternate Text dialog box, type a new (or edit an existing) description for the figure, and then
click OK (See “Figure 19 TouchUp Reading Order Alternate Text Dialog” on page 31)
Figure 18 Add / Edit Alternate Text with TouchUp Reading Order
Making PDF Accessible with Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro